Sunday, January 21, 2024

Photo Caption Challenge Results


Thanks to all of you who responded to my baby photo caption contest. This post was really a treat for myself, as I got to enjoy a laugh or smile as each entry arrived.

Incidentally, of the three babies, the second one is definitely a boy, named William Austin. I cannot be sure whether Austin is his middle or family name. I have a feeling/vague memory that the cornet baby is also a boy, but I only have a copy of the front here, and all three actual photos are in Cleveland. The people of yesteryear were unfortunately just as guilty as we are in neglecting to label photos.

Those who sent in replies were:

Mariette
Tundra Bunny 
Debra She Who Seeks 
Kirk    
Roughterrain crane  
Rosemary 
Architect Design 
The Vintage Contessa 
(Note: The Contessa has recently changed blog hosts, and the above link is the new and correct one. I was dismayed to have been out of touch with her for a while.)


Here are the captions you supplied:

#1 Key Baby:


   I picked Daddy's pocket. Now to find the liquor cabinet.  (Kirk)
   Hey, I finally got the keys to the liquor cabinet: let's PAR-TAY!  (Tundra Bunny)

NB: I hadn't known that my readers were such a bibulous lot!


   Look! I've found my keys but where are my glasses?  (Rosemary)
   Shows such perfect lace work and a happy baby which is KEY!  (Mariette)
   What are you looking at, tough guy?  (Architect Design)
   Mine!  (Contessa)
   Thanks Mum! No, of course I won't scratch it!  (Rosemary)
   I promise I'll have it back by midnight, Dad.  (Kirk)
   I hold the key to make the world happier than ever.  (roughterrain crane)


#2 Baby With Stuffed Animal


   Are you sure it's got no teeth?  (Rosemary)
   Why couldn't I have been born in an era with cute plush toys instead of this ugly hell hound?   (Debra She Who Seeks)
   Trust my cheapskate parents to get me a public domain Winnie-the-Pooh.   (Kirk)
   You said I'd get a Steiff teddy bear if I was good...   (Tundra Bunny)
   Bear is not yet a bosom friend!  (Mariette)
   No! I am not going to cuddle it.  (Rosemary)
   What do you mean he's cuter than me?  (Architect Design)
   I don't trust this babysitter   (Kirk)
   May I take the baby for a walk?  (roughterrain crane)
   Do I have to?  (Contessa)


 
 
 
#3 Cornet Baby  

   I asked for a rattle.  (Rosemary)
   You mean I have to play my own lullaby?!  (Kirk)
   You want me to blow what where?!   (Tundra Bunny)
   But it's bigger than me!  (Architect Design)
   Guess that cornet was COLD  (Mariette)
   Mama, just stop kissing dada and make the pleasant noise!  (roughterrain crane)
   Big to be a RATTLE!  (Contessa)
   Noooo Dad, I said I wanted a cornetto, not a cornet! (A cornetto is an ice cream in a cone in the UK)  (Rosemary)

Note that “cornetto” is also an obsolete musical instrument, with finger holes and a cupped mouthpiece. It was often called a cornet (i.e., little horn), but to avoid confusion with the modern cornet, it is usually today called a cornett, cornetto, or zink. (Photo via Wikipedia)


Good job, everyone! It is surprising how often we could have matched the entries to their writers simply by what they said. I am lucky to have such a varied and interesting group of readers, and I am grateful that so many of you have not forgotten my blog during my long absence.

I enjoyed all of your entries. If you get a sudden new inspiration, or have some general comment, be sure to reply below.

I will now reveal the *actual* answers: All three babies are saying, “I want Jim to adopt me!” Baby #3 is even offering a bribe!


(All original photos property of the author.)

 

 

15 comments:

  1. Dearest Jim,
    Love the reveal of the *actual* answers and that bribe might have worked well for you...
    Still I believe that baby was kind of baffled by getting such a cold instrument laid upon its skin...
    This was interesting and fun!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mariette, They say that brilliant minds think alike. Even before, I was also thinking that the baby looked like it was saying "Get this cold thing off me!" I also knew that if anyone noticed the lace, it would be you!
      --Jim

      Delete
  2. Fun contest! Everyone was very clever and inventive with their captions and I enjoyed them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debra, I put in the close-up of the "hell hound" especially for you!
      --Jim

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your good idea to let us enjoy other bloggers wit and humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello rtc, I appreciate your participation and your responses were very welcome. I wonder if yours would have been different if you had allowed yourself Chinese characters?
      --Jim

      Delete
  4. Fun contest and I enjoyed reading the captions. As for not forgetting your blog, on my blogroll (what I call "Surf City") there are some blogs listed in where the proprietor hasn't had a new post in over 10 years! Yet I still keep them listed just in case...just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kirk, I too never delete blogs that have stopped posting. I figure that they do no harm just sitting there, and as you say "just in case..."
      --Jim

      Delete
  5. Such fun!! Thank you for sharing all of the captions, It reminds me of the last page of the New Yorker magazine weekly cartoon caption contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Architect Design, Now that you mention it, I remember there used to be a lot of caption contests. I don't specifically recall the New Yorker; it seems more that they were connected with the local newspapers. Gosh, people had to enter using a paper envelope and postage stamp!
      --Jim

      Delete
  6. Hello Jim - it was very interesting to see how several of us came up with similar ideas.
    Your photos show a precious glimpse into the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rosemary, That is a good observation, but even when the ideas were somewhat similar, the entries show the personality of the author. Which is an advantage of blog comments in general--on the same post, each commenter brings up a new slant.
      --Jim

      Delete
  7. I see my comment did not TAKE FROM MY PHONE the other day!
    I had THANKED YOU FOR MENTIONING ME and my blog!
    Hopefully I can make it TAKE TODAY AND MANY MANY THANKS.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Contessa, There are definitely problems leaving comments on blogs, but you can see that this time yours arrived safely. Another comment which I know was sent does not to be anywhere in the Blogger system, and meanwhile some Wordpress blogs' comments have gone completely haywire. I don't see why they keep changing things. They are certainly not adding any new features, just breaking the old ones!
      --Jim

      Delete

I would love to know what you think. Please feel free to comment--no tricky security words required! Any difficulties or questions, email at: clavicytherium@yahoo.com