Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Happy Goat Year


 Thursday, February 19th is Chinese New Year Day. This year is the Year of the Goat, but the same character can also mean sheep or ram, so you have considerable leeway in deciding how to celebrate. These animals are very much a part of Chinese art, found in many forms and media, but even accepting all three alternatives does little to eliminate the possible confusion.


 
This ceramic goat with its raised head and happy expression looks like it might have been part of a set of Chinese zodiac animals. Its kneeling posture solves the problem of delicate, easily-broken legs, and details in blue give a lively dash to this relatively realistic animal.



 
Perhaps a garden scene is intended for this very deep architectural carving of two goats among various vases, pots, fruits and flowers, including a spectacular, out-of-proportion gilded chrysanthemum in the central vase.



A closer look at the right-side goat.

The corresponding bracket closely matches the first one, this time with two human figures displayed in a very similar garden.  The figure on the left appears to be playing a lute; oddly, the central vase seems to be unfinished.



 
This charming small octagonal wooden bowl demonstrates some of the problems identifying animals in Chinese art. When fine details are not present, it is difficult to tell the difference between goats, deer, and other similar animals. Usually deer have branched antlers that stick straight up from the head, and are frequently depicted as spotted, while goats have unbranched horns of various shapes.  This one seems just about in between, but let me know whether you think this represents a goat, a deer, or some other animal.


The adjacent panel is crisply carved with the character meaning East.


 
The above boxwood carving has some very unusual features. It is of a longevity god, holding a staff in one hand and his beard in the other, and at his feet is kneeling a goat. At least this really looks like a goat, with two unbranched horns close together. Yet the longevity god known as the Old Man of the South Pole is commonly depicted accompanied by a spotted deer.  In this kind of naive artwork one expects to encounter many variations, both in what was intended and the way it is depicted, so in the end the viewer has to decide upon a plausible interpretation.


The back reveals the original function as a seal case or small box.  The sliding cover that fit in those grooves has unfortunately been lost.

 
The above pair of very realistic and modern goats, down to their horns, hooves and even beards, appears on a carved window. This image is from the book Dong Yang Woodcarving by Hua, De-Han.



 
For sheep fanciers out there, this pair of once-gilded finials appears to depict sheep, but once again we are on a tangent of speculation. The cloven feet and fleecy wool are decidedly ovine, but the heads, while appropriately broad, are like nothing on this earth. They almost appear to have anteater-like snouts.

These is a sad story connected with these sheep. The last time that I moved, several boxes apparently didn't make it, and these were among the lost items. So although I still consider myself their owner, I do not currently possess them, and cannot double-check or re-photograph their features. I particularly regret their loss, since I have never seen anything to compare with them. I also admired their other-worldly charm and the quality of their carving.


 
Lantern Festival this year is sure to offer innumerable goat and sheep lanterns. This goat lantern, while not from a Goat Year, shows the effect that can be achieved. It is entirely made from empty Yakult containers, a type of yogurt drink, and I consider the tuft of grass it is eating a great added touch.




 
A bracelet with double ram's heads, in green stone, represents the third official possibility for the year's mascot. Although clearly not meant to deceive, it has the air of an archaic jade carving. 



Finally, here is a modern interpretation, showing that the spirit of these animals has never left Asian art. These fluffy sheep, carved from mother-of-pearl, are actually chopstick rests that I recently found in a kitchenware store.

I hope that you are now in the mood to celebrate Goat Year. There are plenty of realistic and unequivocal portrayals in the goat-sheep-ram continuum, but as always seems to happen in Chinese art, one soon runs into gray areas. The only way to settle the issue is to let me wish you all:  “Happy Year of the Goat, Sheep, Ram, possibly Deer, or any animal, real or mythical, that even vaguely resembles them.”



All photographs by the author, except as noted.

25 comments:

  1. The stone bracelet is well designed, refined and in a favourite colour... i would certainly wear it. So I need to ask about the relationship between an important symbol of good fortune (be it goat or sheep) and China's favourite meat dishes. Do Chinese people, on the whole, like to eat goat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hels, There are many restaurants here that specialize in lamb/mutton, but I will have to check specifically about goat meat--again the same character is used, although if they wish to be specific, there are other terms available.

    Goat milk, on the other hand, is very common here, available in most stores, and also various types of goat milk candy. I assume that this is from what we call goats, because of the illustrations on the packages! --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jim,

    You certainly have an interesting collection of these four legged creatures in which to help you celebrate the New Year. How very sad that you lost so much in your move, including the intriguing goat-like figures. How does one misplace boxes in a move, a frightening thought for any collector indeed?

    Gong Xi Fa Cai, or would that be Gong Hey Fat Choy. San Francisco will be celebrating early next month with the largest annuel New Year's parade outside of China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello CD, It seems that more are more people here say "Xin Nian Kuai Le" meaning simply "Happy New Year" or even that greeting in English!

      I did learn an important lesson with that loss. In the future, I will number all boxes, and check them off as they arrive at the destination. At least, that way if something is missing, it can be investigated as soon as possible. --Jim

      Delete
  4. A Confucian confusion? Gong Xi Fa Cai. If you are remaining in Taipei it will be remarkably quiet; they're all here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Columnist, Your phrase fits the Goat situation perfectly. Actually, I kind of like it when a different group categorizes things differently--it makes you see things with new eyes.

      You are right that there is not much going on today--many people have flown the coop, but quiet is always a relative term here. Politicians hire loudspeaker truck to blare long-winded New Year's messages all week! --Jim

      Delete
  5. Such wonderful blends of charm and artfulness. I love all of these little creatures. The carvings are marvelous. I'm so sorry that you lost your sheep. Thank you for sharing these with us. This post made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jen, Yes, Chinese art can have great sophistication, but it also has a more playful side as well. Your comment made me smile in turn, because your phrasing reminded me of Little Bo-Peep! --Jim

      Delete
  6. Dearest Jim,
    You do have so many unique and interesting Chinese objects of art and this is again quite interesting to read about the various goat, sheep, ram, deer interpretations. Sadly your two carved sheep got lost as they are really exceptional looking; so sorry for your loss!
    Wishing you a very Happy Goat Year and I do also love the sheep chopstick rests.
    Kindest regards,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mariette, I probably went a little overboard antiques shopping when I first got here, but now I am glad that I did, because old objects are becoming increasing scarce. I am lucky that I have that photo of the sheep. At that time, I was not photographing most objects as I acquired them, but for some reason I liked the sheep so much that I set them on a stool and took the picture.

      I am sure that you would like the shop where I got the chopstick rests. They have many fun objects used for preparing food or setting tables. --Jim

      Delete
  7. Hello Jim,

    Happy New Year!

    Perhaps it is safest not to mention which animal the year is named after. Each of the depictions you show here is delightful in its own way.

    We are very sad for you that the finials are no longer with you. The delicacy of their carving looks to have been quite charming and just the remnants of past gilding makes them even more fascinating. One can imagine them topping off the decoration of an even more ornate artefact of some kind. You must miss the loss of them very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane and Lance, Happy Caprid Year! I suppose that one could settle this problem by using the umbrella term. Luckily, there is no Deer Year, so if a few of those get mixed in, it won't be the end of the world.

      Usually, furniture finials are shaped like lions, gods or people. It is difficult to image what creation would necessitate the use of those sheep, or some of the other improbable finials that I have come across. Of course, that mystery is their great appeal, especially when some artistry and patina is added to the mix. --Jim

      Delete
  8. Hello Jim - wishing you a Happy Chinese New Year.
    I was alerted to the fact that we have gone into the year of the Goat or Sheep this morning by the image on Google. Google seem to have come down on the side of a sheep!
    The green bracelet is a handsome piece, is it made out of soapstone?
    I am also admiring the intricately carved three dimensional wooden artefacts and wondering what the brackets might have come off?
    It is upsetting to loose much loved possessions, sadly it seems to be one of the hazards encountered when moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rosemary, Here, if you forget that it is Chinese New Year, you will be reminded when you go out and see empty streets and closed shops. A few years ago, before they were banned, an even surer sign was the barrage of firecrackers that started at midnight and continued for several days.

      You are correct about the bracelet; it seems to be soapstone or some other soft variety with a waxy sheen. Those large brackets are definitely architectural, used to ornament the beams in some house or temple. The sheep finials are small and came from a piece of furniture, perhaps a bed or some sort of shrine. I agree with you about losing things--new items can be replaced, but not those with historic or sentimental value.
      --Jim

      Delete
  9. Hello, Jim,

    Google may come down on the side of sheep, but I'm going to go for the ram, which is what I think is on your interesting bowl. Maybe it's just as well that we can have our pick because then there are that many more attributes to recognize and celebrate.

    The longer you post, Jim, the more I realize what an avid and discerning collector of art you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mark, Happy New Year to you, too. As soon as you mentioned the ram, I remembered that gold ram lucky charm that you said looked like it was by Botero. (Incidentally, in my family we are partial to rams, as those were my father's initials.) I like your philosophy of the more the merrier; the only trouble I can envision is some bleed-over from ox year.

      Thank you for the nice compliment, but I don't think I deserve the label 'discerning,' at least not after admitting that I can't tell these animals apart! --Jim

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year, Jim!
    Once again, thanks for sharing your eclectic and interesting collection. Such a shame about the pair of sheep finials. At first I thought they were bookends. My favorite piece is the blue and white ceramic goat - it reminds me of the 19th century English Staffordshire creamers. Here is a link:

    http://cow-creamers.net/staffordshire.htm

    Though the English creamers are cows, the form and expression are very similar.

    Wishing you a happy and prosperous year!!
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Loi, You are right about that ceramic goat looking like those Staffordshire cow-creamers. A goat-creamer would be very appropriate for Taiwan because goat milk is still readily available here. Thanks for the reference; that dedicated site about the creamers is great--I took a look and am leaving the window open so tomorrow I can explore it some more.

      By the way, did you ever read The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse, which is about a silver cow creamer? I think that it is the funniest of all his books.

      Thanks for your good wishes. Have a great year with all of your projects. --Jim

      Delete
    2. I love that book! Modern Dutch...
      Kirk

      Delete
    3. One of my favorite catch-phrases! --Jim

      Delete
  11. Hi Jim, I'm learning how unreliable hotel wifi can be and hope that this comment gets through It's a good thing I don't have to pick a favorite of these interesting objects as I'd have a very hard time doing so. I do find I've returned a few times to admire that bracelet though. Just the other day I was listening to a report on CNN regarding the year of the sheep serving as a form of birth control. They claim that the sheep is not a particularly admired animal and the Chinese parent would prefer their child be born in a year with a more auspicious animal symbol. Having lived for years in Sterling, MA and its associations with sheep, I am leaning your way. Your objects seem more goat-like to me. In any event, Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Barbara, It's funny, but so many writers who live in the country single out sheep as being unpleasant to be around in person. Apparently, they are not the bucolic fluff-balls that the rest of us are led to believe.

      It's funny about that bracelet--it is not the kind of think I usually buy, but it does have an inherent appeal.I have been thinking of some possible use for it--perhaps something like a bell pull; the most difficult thing to arrange would be the servant on the other end. Or how about a stand for something round? --Jim

      Delete
  12. Dear Jim,
    I'm with Loi as I do like that little blue and white ceramic goat with its cheery look.
    I think that the figure on the bowl looks like an ibex and I see that they do exist in China.
    Happy New Year to you, my friend!
    Bye for now,
    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kirk, You may be right about that octagonal bowl. Unfortunately, it is put away at the moment, and I neglected to take photos of every angle; perhaps the complete inscription and other carvings together might contain some clue. That blue and white goat is another piece that could use some investigation. I know that I have seen some parallel pieces, but now need to document them.

      Happy Ibex Year, Jim

      Delete

I would love to know what you think. Please feel free to comment--no tricky security words required! Any difficulties or questions, email at: clavicytherium@yahoo.com