Thursday, July 28, 2011

Welcome to Parnassus (bis)

For the past several months, I have been exploring with profit and enjoyment the world of blog postings, and have decided to enter the ring with The Road to Parnassus.

This seems an ideal way to share opinions, experiences and even objects with those whose outlooks are complementary, complimentary, or even opposing. Unlike the obdurate Father Day (of Life with Father), I am not seeking an absentee or acquiescent audience—I value your comments and reactions.

Why The Road to Parnassus? In ancient Greece, Mount Parnassus was the spiritual home of the nine muses, and came to symbolize the attainment of culture.  

  That Parnassus crowd, the nine muses--Clio, Thalia, Erato, Euterpe, Polyhymnia, Calliope, Terpsichore, Urania, Melpomene  

Being on the road to Parnassus (Gradus ad Parnassum in Latin) meant acquiring refinement and learning step by step, and the phrase was often used in book titles, such as Muzio Clementi’s 1826 Art of Piano Playing.
  

  
With Parnassus I hope to expand my opinions on whatever is high quality, important, historical, or just plain interesting. In spite of these mountainous allusions, I’ll try not to get too lofty and to retain a modicum of irreverence.

Among the topics I specifically plan to attack are: Architecture and history; Literature and books; Decorum; Antiques and collecting; and the great universities and their constitution.

A native of Cleveland, Ohio, I have been living in Taipei for the past several years. Although this is not primarily a travelogue or ex-pat site, some special features of Taiwan will be considered, as will some of my more intriguing local acquisitions.


The world of Chinese antiques extends beyond jades and porcelains.

  
Welcome to The Road to Parnassus. I hope you will enjoy the content presented; let me know what pleases or displeases you.

6 comments:

  1. I am delighted to be your first commenter and follower, though my icon might soon disappear behind all those yet to come. Best wishes to you Parnassus — I look forward to your future postings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mark,

    Thank you. I am honored to have you initiate my blog. I will work hard to justify having such an august follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to your insights! I have always wanted to visit Asia, so I will live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi KCashon, While I hope to have a good mix of subjects, I plan to feature interesting aspects of Taiwan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! My own list of favourite topics would include
    History
    Architecture
    Paintings
    Decorative arts and collecting
    Literature
    Travel
    But what is decorum?

    Best wishes
    Hels

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Hels, You have uncovered a mystery. Although someone who blogs about etiquette could well become the next Emily "Post", I have no idea why it says decorum. I am guessing that some fragment was auto-corrected to that word, although words like decor and decoration are equally unlikely candidates for me to list as an express interest.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think. Please feel free to comment--no tricky security words required! Any difficulties or questions, email at: clavicytherium@yahoo.com